1. Jesus was Jewish, born of the Virgin Mary in Bethlehem between 6 and 4 BC. He grew up in Nazareth.
2. He was called Jesus, a variant of Yeshua (ישוע). His last name was not Christ. He was the son of Mary and Joseph. “Anointed one" or “Messiah" was a title given to him by his disciples after his death and resurrection.
3. Jesus’ parents were deeply religious. Each year, they went to the temple in Jerusalem which was a two week journey to celebrate Passover. Jesus went with them one time at age 12. He lived in Nazareth. Jesus was a peacemaker of yokes and ploughs.
4. He was baptized by John the Baptist in the Jordan River in the 15th year of Emperor Tiberius, around AD 27.
5. Jesus began his ministry after King Herod arrested John the Baptist, about 30 years old then.
6. Jesus called men and women to follow him and go to places where he could not go. He called these disciples “the Twelve." Israel consisted of twelve tribes which was to be leaded by the twelve apostles, were to be the vanguard. Jesus chose Simon Peter to be the “rock" upon which he would build the church.
7. Jesus proclaimed that the reign or kingdom of God was at hand.
8. Jesus taught about the kingdom of God by telling parables, healing the sick, providing for people’s needs and forgiving sins. His public ministry lasted between one and a half and three years.
9. In AD 30, the Roman’s, in conclusion with Jewish leaders, condemned Jesus to death. He died on the eve of Passover. Shortly after death, the disciples reported that they had “seen the Lord Jesus." They proclaimed he had risen from the dead, and was now the Lord until the end.
10. At Pentecost, the disciples were transformed by an experience of the Holy Spirit. They began to preach the gospel of Jesus to the ends of the earth. This ministry has continued for two thousand years. The popes have been the successors of St. Peter, the bishops are successors to the apostles, and all of the baptized are followers of Jesus.
St. Rosemary Educational Institution. "Historical Facts about Jesus of Nazareth." http://schoolworkhelper.net/. St. Rosemary Educational Institution, Last Update: 2016. Web. Retrieved on: Saturday 3rd December 2016. http://schoolworkhelper.net/historical-facts-about-jesus-of-nazareth/.