3 Types of Television Production
Live Television Production
- Live television production is just as it sounds – live. It is like watching a play. All mistakes go “to air” and you can not go back and edit what has been broadcast.
- There are not many live programs anymore, however, sporting events, most news programs and some awards shows are broadcast live.
Live-to-Tape Television Production
- Live-to-Tape television production is just like broadcasting live but it is pre-recorded. Most mistakes go “to air” but there may be time to re-shoot a segment or make small edits if there is a major mistake made during recording.
- Talk shows are the most popular form of Live-to-Tape productions. It allows for some minor changes and for pre-promotion of the program.
Pre-Produced Television Production
- Pre-Produced television productions are pre-recorded and edited, much like film productions. All mistakes can be corrected before the show goes “to air”. These shows are usually heavily edited and can use multiple settings.
- Television Dramas are the most popular form of pre-produced productions. It allows for time to polish a program before it is broadcast.