The purpose of Canadian law: to protect Canadian society by trying to balance investigative/arrest rights of the police with the individual rights and freedoms of society.
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
To arrest someone, the police must:
- Determine that an offense has been committed
- Have reasonable grounds to believe that the suspect committed the offense
3 ways to apprehend:
- An appearance notice (summary, hybrid, less serious indictable)
Names the offense
Gives time/place of court appearance
- An arrest
Inform suspect they’re under arrest
Read rights (section 10a, b)
- A warrant for an arrest
- Summons: when the accused runs from the crime scene, a summons is delivered to him to inform him/her to appear at a certain time/place
- Warrant for arrest: lists the accused, offences, order for the arrest
- Anyone may arrest without warrant if:
- A person is committing an indictable offence
- Has committed a criminal offence
- Escaping arrest
- They are the owner of the property
- They are authorized by the owner of the property
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.