Definition of Biodiversity
Biological diversity – or biodiversity – is the term given to the variety of life on Earth. It is the variety within and between all species of plants, animals and micro-organisms and the ecosystems within which they live and interact.
5 ways humans have affected biodiversity:
1) Clearing land for building.
2) Building dams on rivers.
3) Overspill from farms and cities into rivers and lakes
4) Pollution from burning fossil fuels and adding greenhouse gasses to atmosphere.
5) Protecting certain species from hunting, thus changing the keystone predators.
5 Ways we have protected it:
1) Limiting pollution.
2) Protecting certain areas, like national parks.
3) Building around areas, as to not destroy existing habitats.
4) Improving waste management.
5) Leaving it alone.
Biodiversity at home
You can make a difference in and around you home.
In the backyard
You can make a difference in your own backyard. Start by:
- planting your own bush garden;
- growing plants that occur naturally in your area to create a backyard environment for local vegetation and animal life;
- contacting your council for a list of local native plants to grow and noxious weeds to remove
- making and using compost rather than fertilizers;
In the kitchen
You can make a difference in your own kitchen. Start by:
- keeping a compost bin handy for all your food scraps
- using the drain for water only – not oils or solid matter
- sorting your rubbish – recycle bottles, cans, plastics, milk cartons and paper
- using string shopping bags instead of plastic ones;
- making sure all of your taps turn off fully, to save water wastage;
- using a fly swat instead of fly spray, to avoid harming other insects
- turning off lights and electrical appliances when they are not being used: to save power
Help Us Fix his Smile with Your Old Essays, It Takes Seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.