*Billions of galaxies make up the universe, which, according to the big bang model, formed between 10 & 20 billion years ago.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
After today’s lecture, you should be able to:
-Explain the origin of the universe according to the big bang model.
Galaxy = a collection of stars, planets, gases, dust, and satellites (moons)
- Objects within a galaxy move through space together as a whole unit.
- Held together by gravity.
- At least 1 billion galaxies are in the universe. (May be 50-100 billion!)
- Each galaxy is made-up of billions of stars, wh/in turn makes-up most of the visible mass of the universe!
- Almost every light you see in the night sky is in the Milky Way Galaxy, the galaxy we live in!
- Our sun is just 1 star among billions!
- Our solar system is located on the edge of the galaxy, wh/spans 100,000 lit-yrs!
- Northern Hemisphere = see Andromeda Galaxy (2 million light years away)
- Southern Hemisphere = see Magellanic Clouds
– Our 2 nearest galactic neighbors; Can be seen without a telescope.
B) Types of Galaxies
- Classified by their shape.
- 1. Elliptical Galaxies = shaped like a flattened football
- Most do not rotate (spin)
- Contain less material than other types of galaxies
- May be older and more condensed.
2. Spiral Galaxies = shaped like a flat disc with a bulge in the center
- Long, twisted arms that rotate around the center like a pin wheel
- Usually contain large amounts of gas and dust
- Ex.- The Milky Way Galaxy
3. Barred Spiral Galaxies = arms are attached to a straight-bar shape
- Bar is much brighter than the arms
4. Irregular Galaxies = vary greatly in size and shape
- Least common type of galaxy
- Ex.- Magellanic Clouds
C) Other Star Groups
- Local Group = cluster of several galaxies (Most galaxies are in these.)
- Star Cluster = areas where many stars are close together
- Pleiadez = grouping of 7 stars (fall/winter)
- Binary Star = a pair of stars
- More numerous than single stars.
- Stars that appear to be in patterns as seen from Earth. (A product of peoples’ imaginations!)
- Big Dipper (Ursa Major), Orion, etc.
- 88 constellations in all
- Help form a picture of the night sky and tell the season.
E) Expansion of the Universe
- Big-Bang Theory = How the universe began; Occurred 10-20 billion years ago.
- All matter in the universe was packed into a giant sphere of H.
- It exploded, spreading matter and gases outward.
- As matter cooled, the force of gravity pulled particles together to form galaxies, stars, etc.
- Main evidence to support this = Most galaxies are moving away from each other (redshifting)!
2. How do scientists know the universe is expanding?
Doppler Effect = apparent change in wavelength due to an object’s position
- Moving away = appear to have a longer wavelength (redshift)
- Standing still = no change in wavelength
Moving closer = appear to have a shorter wavelength (blueshift