In 1811, an Englishman named James came up with an invention that today saves us a great deal of time. That invention was the first patented mechanical device designed specifically for floor sweeping. It wasn’t until 1907 that Murray Spangler, a building maintenance man faced with cleaning endless hallways, found a way to improve on Humes invention by developing a motor that attached to the sweeping machine. In 1908, Spangler teamed up with William H. Hoover, and the Hoover Suction Sweeper Company was formed.
Since then, Hoover has led the cleaning appliance industry by developing and marketing some of the most efficient, easy to use appliances in the U.S. and abroad. It’s interesting to note that most Hoover vacuum cleaners still use the agitation/suction system that Spangler originally invented.
Recently, Hoover has introduced the New WindTunnel Canister. Hoover, the floor-care innovator, has moved to revolutionize the canister cleaner category with its famous WindTunnel technology. Meet the WindTunnel canister. It picks up more dirt than any other canister cleaner on the market, including all bagless models. The WindTunnel canister contains the exclusive WindTunnel technology. This technology, patented by Hoover, is a breakthrough in the design of the agitator cavity: Dirt is prevented from coming in contact with the agitator and being scattered back onto the carpet by a dual-duct arrangement in the WindTunnel nozzle. This technology improves cleaning effectiveness, which is the most-sought-after benefit consumers want in a cleaner, according to independent research. WindTunnel technology is not a new concept to consumers. Since the advancement was introduced in 1997, Hoover has invested millions of dollars in advertising to promote the technology in its WindTunnel uprights. As for the WindTunnel canister, Hoover will push the unit with a true multi-media campaign, starting with a short-form direct-response spot, commercials on network and cable television, and national radio — with more to come. The WindTunnel canister is loaded with convenience features, including:
- A wide, 15-inch power nozzle.
- An agitator on-off switch for effective cleaning on either carpet or bare floors.
- The Hoover allergen-filtration system, which minimizes the escape of fine particles back into the air. The most important element of the system is the two-ply, disposable filter bag, which captures 100 percent of dust mites and 99.9 percent of ragweed and common grass pollens.
- A transparent agitator cavity so that the user can see the WindTunnel technology in action.
- A full array of on-board, covered tools: Six-foot swivel hose, two chrome wands, crevice tool, dusting brush, furniture nozzle and hard-floor tool.
- A 25-foot cord with automatic rewind.
- Automatic bag-check indicator.
- Edge groomers — a series of flexible bristles aligned vertically along the far edges of the agitator cavity. The bristles brush the dirt particles along baseboards, and the particles are then drawn by the suction of the cleaner toward the air ducts.
Hoover anticipates that the introduction of the WindTunnel canister will amount to additional sales for a category that in 1998 experienced the greatest percentage growth of all floor-care categories. The growth has been fueled in part by a proliferation of hard-floor surfaces in homes, especially in warm-weather climates. Hoover also believes that further growth will be seen as one-time canister users come back to the category. They left six to 10 years ago when uprights with attached tools attracted many canister users. Now that their uprights are aging, they’ll be back in the market and will give the WindTunnel canister a long look.
The WindTunnel canisters (models S3630 and S3655) come in forest green/black and carry an expected retail range of $299 to $470.
Hoover, the leader in the floor-care industry, offers a full line of products, including full-size uprights and canisters, stick cleaners, hand-held cleaners, extractors, utility vacuums, central vacuum systems and commercial products. Hoover is based in North Canton, Ohio, where it was established in 1908.