Themes Inspirational/ Motivational/ Aspirations
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
Type Dramatic Monologue
Links Mother in a Refugee Camp – Courage
Do Not Go Gentle – Courage/exhortation (encourage to fight)
My Last Duchess – Dramatic Monologue
- Written by Rudyard Kipling and was awarded a Nobel Prize for Literature
- Work based on his knowledge of the Middle East
- The poem “If” is addressed to his son, John, who died in WWI
- Presents opposite values – “keep…lose” etc – suggesting a central part of life’s achievements are steering a middle course
- Addressed to the writer’s son
- For most of the poem, readers assume it is addressed to people but the words “my son” come as a shock and change it to a dramatic monologue
- The title and repetition of “If” is important
- The tone the one of exhortation (a powerfully given speech, urging someone to do something)
- Uses persuasive techniques
- Some qualities are written with capital letter – Triumph, Disaster, Will – to emphasise there importance
- The values Kipling wanted his son to aspire to are very lofty and don’t mention softer values such as kindness
- Repetition of the word “you” engages the reader
- Regular rhyme scheme and meter
- Orderliness almost is a military rhythm
- Four verses of eight lines
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.