- The introduction of liberalism in the 18th century meant a new age in British politics, which continued through the Industrial Revolution
- Gladstone (Liberal) and Disraeli (Conservative) were two of the most influential political leaders of the late Industrial Revolution
- Both advocated reform of social structure; as a result, some of the more productive governments came to power.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- New Poor Law drafted in 1834, which was based on the pleasure pain calculation called the “less eligibility principle.”
- In order to receive poor relief, an individual had to enter a workhouse and in order to discourage people from going on relief, conditions in the workhouse were designed to be worse than the conditions outside.
- Protesters saw workhouse as prisons and named them “Bastilles”
Remained until 1909
- About 5 percent of the population was dependent on the New Poor Law
- Thought that the impact of legislation could be calculated by a simple formula called “principle of utility”
- This principle states that laws should be designed to create “the greatest happiness of the greatest times”
- If real conflicts arose, the government would intervene and create an artificial measure of social utility.
- The Factory Act of 1833 – prohibited the employment of children under nine and placed limits on working hours of those between the ages of 9 and 18
- Factory Act of 1847 – limited children to 10 hour day. This limit became the standard working day for adults in textile mills.
- The Mines Act of 1842 – prohibited the employment of women and of children under 10 years of age, in underground mines.
"Be Bold" No-Essay $10,000 Scholarship
The $10,000 “Be Bold” Scholarship is a no-essay scholarship that will be awarded to the applicant with the boldest profile. To us, boldest does not mean “best”, or “most accomplished”. Being bold means being: Earnest, Determined, Moving. The scholarship will be awarded to the student whose profile is most bold, according to these characteristics.
- With the conditions workers had to endure and the outbreak of killer diseases, Edwin Chadwick helped draft the Public Health Act of 1848, which included a General Board of Health to overseas conditions
- The social legislation redefine the government’s role in social policy.
- It established new ways of investigating social problems and created a body of professional civil servants.