The narrator talks about her lover and how much she thinks of him. She’s worried her thoughts will obscure the reality of what he’s actually like. However, she reassures her thoughts do not compare to the reality of him. She wants him to have a strong presence and be with him.
Ideas and Themes:
- Transition from problem to solution reflects difference between the narrator thinking and being with her lover. First line is “I think of thee!” Last line is “too near”. First, she imagines being with him but at the end she doesn’t because she is “Too near” him.
- Written in sonnet form emphasizes love. Has an octave (8 lines) followed by a sestet (6 lines). The octave is the problem and sestet a solution. However, the solution comes in the middle of the octave showing her impatience
- “I think of thee” Narrator addresses lover directly making it more personal
- “My thoughts do twine and bud”– Natural imagery shows her thoughts focus on him like vines do on a tree. Her love is ever growing and developing as well as her thoughts
- “Wild vines about a tree”– Metaphor shows that narrator is “wild vines” and lover is the “tree”. Internal rhyme of “thee” and “tree”.
- “Put out broad leaves”- Suggests the love is extensive.
- “Except the straggling green”– Suggests vines are inferior to tree as her thoughts are inferior to the actual man himself she is describing
- “Renew thy Presence as a strong tree should, rustle”– Sibilant sounds reflect trees rustling and thoughts changing. “Renew” and “rustle” are imperatives and alliteration show and emphasize how much she wants him to take action.
- “Set thy trunk all bare” Possible erotic reference
- “Insphere Thee…Hear Thee….Too near thee”. Last 6 lines rhyme with himself showing obsession
- “I do not think of thee-I am too near thee”. Reversal of the first line highlights difference between thinking and being with him. She doesn’t have to think about him when she’s with him – he’s better than anything she’s capable of imagining.
Help Us Fix his Smile with Your Old Essays, It Takes Seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.