- The study of the mechanisms by which the body functions
- Anatomy was the forerunner of physiology
- Study how our organ systems, tissues, cells, and molecules within cells work and how their functions are integrated to regulate our internal environments
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- The study of how our bodies’ structures and functions are altered when we are exposed to acute and chronic bouts of exercise
- Applies concepts in exercise physiology to enhance training of athletes and sports performance
Exercise physiology vs. Sports physiology
- Exercise physiology research has found fat as the major energy source during rest and light exercise and carbohydrates (CHO) increasingly becomes the primary source as exercise intensity increases.
Sports physiology uses this information to: increase CHO stores, decrease rate of CHO use and improve diet.
- Exercise physiology discovered overtraining.
Sports physiology used this to design an exercise program to reduce risk.
ACUTE PHYSIOLOGICAL RESPONSE TO EXERCISE
- Body response to an individual bout of exercise
Example: changes to heart rate, respiration rate, skin and deep body temperature, and muscle activity
Can be affected by many factors:
- Amount of light
- Last meal
CHRONIC PHYSIOLOGICAL ADAPTATIONS TO TRAINING
- Body response over time to the stress of repeated exercise bouts
Adaptation that improves exercise capacity and efficiency