- The hero’s mother is a royal virgin;
- His father is a king, and
- The circumstances of his conception are unusual, and
- He is also reputed to be the son of a god.
- At birth, an attempt is made, usually by his father or his maternal grandfather, to kill him, but
- He is spirited away, and
- Reared by foster parents in a far country.
- We are told nothing of his childhood, but
- On reaching manhood he returns or goes to his future kingdom.
- After a victory over the king and/or a giant, dragon, or wild beast,
- He marries a princess, often the daughter of a predecessor, and
- Becomes king.
- For a time he reigns uneventfully, and
- Prescribes laws, but
- Later loses favour with the gods and/or his subjects, and
- Is driven from the throne and city, after which
- He meets with a mysterious death
- Often at the top of a hill
- His body is not buried, but nevertheless
- He has one or more holy sepulchres.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.