- Software is the programs, routines, and symbolic languages that control the functioning of the hardware and direct its operation.
Types of Software
- Retail Software
- type of software is sold off the shelves of retail stores.
- includes expensive marketing and packaging designed to catch the eye of shoppers
- generally more expensive
- Original Equipment Manufacturer
- designed to be bundled with hardware
- downloadable software
- the user is typically allowed to try the program for free, for a period of time stipulated in the license
- At the end of the trial period, the software must be purchased or uninstalled
- downloadable off the Internet and free of charge. Often freeware is only free for personal use, while commercial use requires a paid license. Freeware does not contain spyware or adware. If it is found to contain either of these, it is reclassified as such.
- Software developed exclusively for a client.
- Created to meet the specific needs of the client
- For example: systems software used by a company to maintain their customer database
- Software Categories
- Systems Software – enables the computer to function
- Application Software – does real work for users
- Systems Software
- Management software including Operating Systems
- Development Software including programming languages such as JAVA, C++, Turing. This is software used to create programs.
- Service Software including device drivers and security software
- Operating System
- basic software that allows the user to interface with the computer
- Some popular OS include Windows, Linux, Apple Mac OS.
- GUI – Graphical User Interface
- Work environment
- Quick launch bar
- Notification area
- Start Menu
- DOS (command line interface)
- Windows 3.1
- Windows 7
Tasks of the OS
- Breaks the tasks down into manageable chunks and prioritizing them before sending to the CPU
- Coordinates the flow of data in and out of RAM and determining when virtual memory is necessary
- Provides an interface between each device connected to the computer, the CPU and applications
- Directs where data will be stored permanently on hard drives and other forms of storage
- Provides a standard communications and data exchange between software programs and the computer
- Provides a way for you to communicate and interact with the computer
- Short for Malicious Software
- Intrusive software designed to infiltrate a user’s computer without the user’s consent
- Trojan horses
- Examines and filters information coming into your computer
- Usually between computers (or a network of computers)
- Can be either hardware and/or software
- Security software – Antivirus
- Program that searches your hard drive and floppy disks for any known or potential viruses.
- Major categories of Application Software
- Word Processing
- Create and edit text files
- Create and edit databases (transaction and master records)þ
- Create and edit rows and columns of numbers form budgets and financial statements
- Create and edit slideshows
- Send and receive data/e-mail over network
- The preceding can be bundled together in one suite.
- Productivity Software
- Any software that can be used as a tool and helps you produce documents, spreadsheets, a database, or other products.
- Other types of Application Software
- Education and Entertainments
Help Us Fix his Smile with Your Old Essays, It Takes Seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.