- Software is the programs, routines, and symbolic languages that control the functioning of the hardware and direct its operation.
Types of Software
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- Retail Software
- type of software is sold off the shelves of retail stores.
- includes expensive marketing and packaging designed to catch the eye of shoppers
- generally more expensive
- Original Equipment Manufacturer
- designed to be bundled with hardware
- downloadable software
- the user is typically allowed to try the program for free, for a period of time stipulated in the license
- At the end of the trial period, the software must be purchased or uninstalled
- downloadable off the Internet and free of charge. Often freeware is only free for personal use, while commercial use requires a paid license. Freeware does not contain spyware or adware. If it is found to contain either of these, it is reclassified as such.
- Software developed exclusively for a client.
- Created to meet the specific needs of the client
- For example: systems software used by a company to maintain their customer database
- Software Categories
- Systems Software – enables the computer to function
- Application Software – does real work for users
- Systems Software
- Management software including Operating Systems
- Development Software including programming languages such as JAVA, C++, Turing. This is software used to create programs.
- Service Software including device drivers and security software
- Operating System
- basic software that allows the user to interface with the computer
- Some popular OS include Windows, Linux, Apple Mac OS.
- GUI – Graphical User Interface
- Work environment
- Quick launch bar
- Notification area
- Start Menu
- DOS (command line interface)
- Windows 3.1
- Windows 7
Tasks of the OS
- Breaks the tasks down into manageable chunks and prioritizing them before sending to the CPU
- Coordinates the flow of data in and out of RAM and determining when virtual memory is necessary
- Provides an interface between each device connected to the computer, the CPU and applications
- Directs where data will be stored permanently on hard drives and other forms of storage
- Provides a standard communications and data exchange between software programs and the computer
- Provides a way for you to communicate and interact with the computer
- Short for Malicious Software
- Intrusive software designed to infiltrate a user’s computer without the user’s consent
- Trojan horses
- Examines and filters information coming into your computer
- Usually between computers (or a network of computers)
- Can be either hardware and/or software
- Security software – Antivirus
- Program that searches your hard drive and floppy disks for any known or potential viruses.
- Major categories of Application Software
- Word Processing
- Create and edit text files
- Create and edit databases (transaction and master records)þ
- Create and edit rows and columns of numbers form budgets and financial statements
- Create and edit slideshows
- Send and receive data/e-mail over network
- The preceding can be bundled together in one suite.
- Productivity Software
- Any software that can be used as a tool and helps you produce documents, spreadsheets, a database, or other products.
- Other types of Application Software
- Education and Entertainments