1. Type of essay:
|Narrative||To entertain, illuminate, or tell a story|
|Argumentative||To convince the reader of the validity of the thesis|
|Persuasive||To persuade the reader to act|
|Expository||To explore, explain, classify, or define|
- What is the thesis? Explicit or Implicit?
- What is the purpose of the essay? (to entertain, persuade, criticize, provoke, etc.)
|Explicit (Stated/Direct)||Implicit (Implied/Indirect)|
|-topic and position are stated from the beginning||-thesis is not directly stated but implied through implication or evidence|
3. Style: Is the essay Formal or Familiar?
|-serious treatment of subject
-precise and accurate info
-instructs and informs in order to convince
–no contractions, no slang,
no 1st person
|-reveals personality of writer
-moods =casual, ironic, humorous, satiric
-personal and friendly persuasion
-to entertain or shed light on a subject
- What types of supporting evidence are used?
(Examples, comparisons, contrasts, statistics, etc.)
5. Mood or Reaction?
- What emotional reaction do you have?
- Do you agree or disagree with the essay?