- Three examples of fossil fuels could be
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
c, Natural Gas
- The plant material that dies in swampy areas and does not decay eventually forms a dense material called what?
- What conditions are necessary in swamps or bogs to prevent or slow decay?
Low oxygen conditions
- The 4 steps in coal formation are:
- a. The organic matter accumulates and forms a bed of peat.
- b. The peat bed gets buried by other sediments and under heat and pressure begins to transform to a low grade coal known as lignite.
- c. More heat and pressure further change the lignite into bituminous coal.
- d. Even more heat and pressure change the bituminous coal into a nice hard shiny anthracite coal.
- The increase of what 2 conditions changes these from one form to another over time?
- What is the highest grade of coal that produces the least pollution and most energy per unit?
- What area of North Carolina could become a coal bed thousands of years from now?
Great Dismal Swamp of North Carolina
a. method: Underground impact: Acid mine drainage
b. method: Surface impact: Erosion, loss of habitat.
- What are the 2 types of surface mining for coal?
- Strip Mining
- Mountaintop Removal
- What are 2 negative impacts of burning coal?
- Burning coal produces carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide and methane gas, all of which could contribute to global climate change.
- Coal (and fuel oil) combustion emit fly ash particles into the atmosphere, which contribute to air pollution problems.
- What is the main ingredient of Natural Gas?
- What are three of its characteristics?
- Formed from the remains of tiny sea animals and plants that died thousands of years ago. (Same process that formed petroleum.)
- The gas became trapped in the rock layers much like wet household sponge traps water.
- What are 2 benefits of using Natural Gas?
- Cleaner fuel than petroleum or coal.
- Has the highest energy content of the hydrocarbons used for fuel.
- What is the term for fuel sources that come from plant and animal waste?
- What is the name of the organic material in Oil Shale?
- What are the other names for “Tar Sands”?
Oil sands or bituminous sands.
- What are 2 of the environmental impacts of using shale or tar sands?
- This can be processed to make synthetic crude oil or be refined into petroleum products.
- This may prove to be a viable alternative to oil imported from the Middle East.
- Name one alternative energy and list some of its benefits.
- It produces huge amounts of energy from small amounts of nuclear fuel (uranium and plutonium).
- Earth contains enough nuclear fuel to meet all present and future needs.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.