Theme: Childhood memory
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
Type: Narrative free verse with rhyming couplets
- Written by Vernon Scannell
- About childhood from perspective of an adult
- Poem takes us inside the child’s head by use of sensory language
- Short sentences are used – to recreate the suspense and sensory experience of hide and seek
- The plot records the thoughts going through the child’s mind it is called a stream of consciousness writing
- Straightforward narrative poem about an incident in a child’s life
- He is waiting to be found but remains undiscovered and the seekers have vanished – leaving a sense of mild threat
- Direct language and short sentences at the beginning of the poem to take us straight into the excitement
- Punctuation is used to create suspense and tension – short sentence convey tension
- Oxymoron “salty dark” – dark can’t be salty – creates strong sensory setting
- Onomatopoeia – “Stumbles”, “mutters” and “scuffle” – is used to convey the sense of the seekers bumbling around
- Alliteration – “Don’t breath. Don’t move” – conveys the sense of excitement
- Personification of the cold – “the cold bites through your coat”
- Contrast – the pleasant smell like the seaside turns to the damp dark – same imagery
- Echo – child holds his breath and at the end bushes hold their breath
- Rhyming couplets are used in the poem giving us a sense of structure but the rhyming scheme isn’t too dominant
- Allows him to present the stream of consciousness more convincingly
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.