- Biological (Medical) Model
- The mind’s activity depends on the brain whose composition is genetically determined
- Still acknowledge influences of environment and learning
- Genetic influences on anxiety and depression
- Brain structure different in individuals with schizophrenia- process information differently
- Therapy: Pharmacological treatments (medication)
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- Focuses on what people do rather than on brain structures and/or chemistry
- Behaviour is analyzed in terms of stimulus, response, and reinforcement.
o Their fear, their response to the fear, experience of relief leads to reinforcing the response to that certain fear.
- Aim is to discover what reinforcements sustain and undesirable behaviour and then to alter those reinforcements.
- Therapy: Exposure
- Behaviour results from complex attitudes, expectations, and motives rather than simple reinforcements.
- Individuals are taught to substitute their unrealistic thoughts with realistic ones and to test their assumptions.
- Emphasizes thoughts as well as unconscious emotions, ideas, and impulses
- Emphasizes the role of the past in shaping the present.
- Therapies: Interpersonal, humanistic, existential, experiential
- Typically emphasizes exposure as well as changing problematic patterns of thinking
- Typically involve- 10 individual or group sessions with a therapist plus homework
- Has been shown to produce significant improvements
- Has been combined with drug therapy
“Seeks to make conscious that which is unconscious.”