- Overrules all other Ontario legislation unless that legislation states that the Human Rights Code does not apply
- Provides civil remedies, not criminal penalties
- People found to have engaged in discrimination can be ordered to compensate an individual or make changes to the way they conduct their affairs.
Scope of the Code – What does the Code apply to?
- Services, goods, facilities (schools, hospitals, shops, restaurants, sports and recreation organizations)
- Accommodation – place where you live or want to live, whether you own or rent the premises.
- Employment – advertisements application forms and job interviews, work assignment, training and promotion
Prohibited grounds of discrimination
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- Religious, education or social institutions serving ethnic groups people with disabilities, religious groups, etc. may choose to employ only members of that group
- An employer can discriminate on the basis of age, sex, or marital status if they are genuine requirements of the job (ex. shelters for abused women employing only women, male attendants to work in men’s locker room)
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.