- Noblewomen of Denmark
- Daughter of Polonius
- Sister of Laertes
- Hamlet’s love
Character Traits and General Facts
- Ophelia demonstrates purity, the innocence and virtue of women
- She is childlike and naïve in nature
- She is unaware of the harsh realities of life
- Although she truly loves Hamlet, she is very loyal and obedient to her brother and father and avoids Hamlet upon their orders
- “No, my good lord, but, as you did command, I did repel his letters, and denied access to me” (II.2.107-109).
- She defends Hamlet and loves him, despite his brutality
- She is incapable of defending herself, and through her timid responses, it is evident that she is suffering inside
- “I do not know, my lord, what I should think” (I. 3. 104).
- This quote describes how Polonius easily manipulates Ophelia and it is evident that Polonius brings his daughter up under his control
- She is unable to cope with the unfolding of one traumatic event after another and as a result she becomes insane after hearing about her father’s death and eventually drowns
Her Relationship in Accordance With Other Characters
- Through Ophelia, we witness Hamlet’s evolution and de-evolution into a man that has a firm belief that all women are ignorant and deceitful
- “I have heard of your paintings well enough; God hath given you one face, and you make yourselves another: you jig, you amble, and you lisp, you nickname God’s creatures, and make your wantonness your ignorance” (III. 1. 144-148).
- Polonius makes arrangements to use the alluring Ophelia to discover why Hamlet is acting mad
- “Ophelia, walk you here. Gracious, so please you, we will bestow ourselves. Read on this book, that show of such an exercise may colour your loneliness” (III. 1. 43-46).
- Hamlet causes all her emotional pain throughout the play
- Laertes and Polonius both warn Ophelia about Hamlet and forbid her to come near his presence as they think he is just using her for his sexual pleasure
- Laertes and Polonius are both so ignorant of Ophelia’s true feelings towards Hamlet
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.