Themes: Childhood, Parent/Child, Parental Love, Nostalgia & memories
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
Type: Rhyming Couplets
- Written by D. H. Lawrence (wrote over 800 poems)
- His childhood was dominated by poverty and the friction between his parents of these became strong influences in his writing
- In Piano he describes a woman singing to him at dusk and is transported back to his childhood in a memory of sitting under a piano
- He wants to resist the memory but it is powerful and fills him with longing and nostalgia for this happy time of his childhood
- Celebrates the importance of music and memory
"Be Bold" No-Essay $10,000 Scholarship
The $10,000 “Be Bold” Scholarship is a no-essay scholarship that will be awarded to the applicant with the boldest profile. To us, boldest does not mean “best”, or “most accomplished”. Being bold means being: Earnest, Determined, Moving. The scholarship will be awarded to the student whose profile is most bold, according to these characteristics.
- Reference to “softly” and “dusk” in the first line sets the mood of a wistful longing
- Sense of security and coziness felt when his mother played the piano
- Written in present tense to make it vivid
- Third person to create a distance between the man he is and the child he was – it also conveys the internal struggle the poet is experiencing
- He seems to fight the remembrance as if it was a weakness
- Onomatopoeia – “tinkling piano”
- Written in rhyming couplets and has a nursery rhyme simplicity – fitting to childhood theme
- Regular meter and uniformity – keeping with the sense of security of childhood
- The tone of the poem if nostalgic – a wistful longing for times past
- He sits under his mother’s piano and describes how she pressed the pedals suggests that they were close both mentally and physically
- He clearly admires and loves his mother
- His memories show mixed emotions