- LAW is a set of rules of conduct, established by government, for all members of society to obey and follow.
The Function of Law
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- 1. Regulates conduct- acts as a deterrent i.e. if you do “x” you face punishment “y”.
- 2. Avoids or Settles disputes – Contract law sets out rules for making & enforcing agreements.
- 3. Set out rights and obligations- for example the Charter of Rights limits the government’s authority over citizens.
- 4. Provides remedies- if your rights have been violated under the law, the law provides a system of recourse.
- 5. Maintains Order & provides protection- prohibits certain acts & provides for an authority-(police) to protect us.
- 6. Sets up the structure of government- The Constitution Act assigns power & duties to the various levels of government.
- 7. Directs how to make laws- The Parliament.