- LAW is a set of rules of conduct, established by government, for all members of society to obey and follow.
The Function of Law
- 1. Regulates conduct- acts as a deterrent i.e. if you do “x” you face punishment “y”.
- 2. Avoids or Settles disputes – Contract law sets out rules for making & enforcing agreements.
- 3. Set out rights and obligations- for example the Charter of Rights limits the government’s authority over citizens.
- 4. Provides remedies- if your rights have been violated under the law, the law provides a system of recourse.
- 5. Maintains Order & provides protection- prohibits certain acts & provides for an authority-(police) to protect us.
- 6. Sets up the structure of government- The Constitution Act assigns power & duties to the various levels of government.
- 7. Directs how to make laws- The Parliament.