|– connects to the lives of Gurus|
– a holy day that connects to the birth or death of one of the Gurus…the birthday of Guru Nanak is called Gurpurb…most imp holy day, usually in November
– continuous reading of Sahib for 48 hrs is called Akhand Path…many info sessions on thisGuru and pryares are done
|Jore Melas||– a number of these types of festivals – Baisakhi, Diwali, and Hola Mohalla|
– provide opportunities for Sikhs to gather together
– Guru Amar Das, the 3rd Guru created Baisakhi and Diwali to divert the minds of the followers from Hinduism to reflect on the meaning of being Sikh
|Baiskhi||– usually occurs on either April 13 and 14|
– purpose is to remind Sikhs of the fight against injustice …the story of the formation of Khalsa is told
– a day of thanksgiving…many gather at Amritsar, India to celebrate this day
· in 1919 the British forbade the gathering at Amritsar for Baisakhi b/c they feared that the Sikhs would rise up against them
· the Sikhs defied the British
· as a result, 100s of Sikhs were killed
|Diwali||– takes place in either October or November|
– it celebrates the imprisonment and release of Guru Hargobind (the 6th Guru)
History of the Sikh Diwali
· in the 1600s during the Hindu Diwali, a Muslim King, Jehangir, offered to release Guru Hargobind
· this Guru said he would only leave if 52 Hindu princes would be released as well.
· Jehangir said these princes could go if they exited a narrow passage holding on to this Guru’s clothes.
· Guru Hargobind had long tassels on his clothes, which all the princes held and were released
|Hola Mohalla||– occurs in the spring|
– Sikhs gather to practise their martial arts skills
Help Us Fix his Smile with Your Old Essays, It Takes Seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.