Factors affecting the absorption of alcohol
- Body weight – greater volume of blood in a larger person keeps the blood alcohol level lower
- Speed of drinking – faster alcohol is consumed the quicker the blood alcohol will rise
- Food in stomach – food absorbs the alcohol in your body
- Mix of drinks – alcohol and carbonated drinks speed absorption
– milk and alcohol absorbs slower
- Drink concentration – straight alcohol it absorbs quickly in blood stream.
– alcohol and water absorbs slowly
- Physical condition – under medication is easily affected than a healthier person
Why are teens at risk of developing substance use problem?
- personal factors
– mental/emotional well-being
– personal factors(depression)
– self-esteem and self-efficacy
- behavioral factors
– academic achievement
– teens often use more than 1 substance
– curiosity lead to experimentation
- environmental factors
– attitudes and values of parents and peers
– advertising media
– social and culture norms
- physiological factors
– developing brains and bodies are more sensitive to drugs
A drug is – any substance taken to damage how the body or mind works
Drug use is – ingesting, inhaling, absorbing or injecting a drug in order to change the way you think, act or feel without interfering with ones daily activities
When the benefits of using a drug begin to replace valued experiences or responsibilities from before
Why do people take drugs?
- feel emotionally pressured
- feel pressured by people around them(peer pressure)
Problems from drug abuse
- health problems
- personal problems
- social problems
| || || || |
Factors that influence attitudes toward alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Family influences
- influences of peers
- individual life circumstances
- cultural beliefs and values
|Personal|| || |
|Social|| || |
|Performance at work or school|| || |
|Health/physical|| || |
Substance use and abuse chart
|Description||Smoked in pipes or joints. 3rd most popular drug used by teens||Most popular drug for youth and teens. Made for grapes||Crushed, dried leaves of tobacco plant. 2nd popular drug||From a plant including tea, coffee. Most widely used drug in the world|
|Other names||Hash, THC, pot, ragweed, dope||Beer, wine, brew||Smokes, sticks, butts|
|Short-term effects||Get high and become more relaxed and talkative||Person feels relaxed and may not be able to think clearly||Pulse rate and blood pressure will rise||Evaluate mood, increases amount of urine produced|
|Long-term effects||Persons level of sex hormones may decrease||Inflamed stomach or pancreas. Cirrhosis of the liver||Be shot of breath and cough often. cancers||Daily use in low to moderate doses = no harmful effects|
|Legal status||illegal||Legal ages to consume||Illegal to sell if you are under aged||No laws|
|Stimulant, depressant, hallucinogens||depressant||stimulant|
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.