Deficiencies in the Articles of Confederation
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- No separate executive branch to carry out the laws of Congress.
- No national judiciary to handle offenses against the central government’s laws or to settle disputes between states.
- Congress did not have the power to levy taxes.
- Congress could not regulate interstate and foreign commerce.
- The states as well as Congress had the power to coin money.
- Congress could not support an army or navy and was dependent on state militias.
- Nine states had to approve every law.
- Amendment of the Articles required unanimous consent.
|The Bill of Rights|
|First Amendment||Freedom of religion, speech, the press, peaceable assembly, and petition|
|Second Amendment||The right to keep and bear arms|
|Third Amendment||Prohibits quartering of troops in citizens’ homes|
|Fourth Amendment||Protection against unreasonable searches and seizures|
|Fifth Amendment||Rules against taking of life, liberty, or property without due process of law
Protection against self-incrimination
|Sixth Amendment||A person accused of a crime has a right to a defense lawyer, speedy and public trial, the right to hear charges, call witnesses, and be present when witnesses speak in court|
|Seventh Amendment||The right to trial by jury|
|Eighth Amendment||Protection against excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishments|
|Ninth Amendment||The rights enumerated in the Constitution are not a person’s only rights|
|Tenth Amendment||Powers not delegated to the U.S. nor prohibited to the states are reserved to the states or to the people|
|Checks and Balances|
|Executive Branch||can veto laws|
|can call special sessions of Congress|
|controls enforcement of laws|
|can pardon people convicted of federal crimes|
|Legislative Branch||can impeach President and other high officials|
|Senate approves Presidential appointments|
|Senate approves treaties|
|can override presidential vetoes|
|exercises power of the purse|
|Judicial Branch||can declare laws or presidential actions unconstitutional|