- Juris- of law or of right
- Prudens/Prudentia-knowledge or skill of the law.
- Science or Philosophy of the Law
- Dealing with concepts, principles, notions of legal thought
- Look below surface of laws, court decisions and legal institutions
- Historical and Philosophic Roots
- Legal Matrix= Puzzle
- Interlocking Concepts, theories, principles and institutions.
- Law more than just rules set out in statutes or judicial decisions by the court.
- Interlocking set of beliefs, values, ideals that have evolved over time to control human behaviour and protect our interests.
- Law as a legal concept
- Law as a legal system
- Law as a set of rules
The Need for Law
- Law as an instrument of society
- Law as a mechanism for resolving disputes
- Law protects our person, property and rights
- Law provides for order in society
Law v. Rules
- Laws are mandatory, but rules are optional
- Laws have a formal system of produces for enforcement
- Laws impose a system of punishment an remedies
Applying the Law
- In a poker game, a full-house beats a pair.
- You do not attend school on Labour Day.
- You walked across a field that had a sign posted “No Trespassing”.
- You only use washroom facilities designated as either Men or Women.
- You are suspended from school for skipping classes.
- You raise your hand in class for the purpose of answering a question.