- Means to pacify/soothe
- In Germany, Hitler began to:
- Build an army, create an air force
- Stop reparation payments
- Reoccupy land that was taken away from Germany Rhineland
- Rejoin forces with Austria in 1938 – called Anschluss (unification).
- This was allowed because Britain and France felt bad about the Treaty of Versailles and the state of the German economy.
- However, Britain and France began to re-arm in 1936.
- Hitler wanted to take over an area in Czechoslovakia called the Sudetenland. This area had 3.5 million Germans in it.
- At the Munich conference, Britain, France, Italy and Germany agreed to let Germany have the Sudetenland. Hitler promised he would not take over anymore land.
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- March 1939 – Hitler took over the rest of Czechoslovakia
- August 1939 – Hitler makes a non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union. In case war breaks out, they will not fight each other. They also agree to divide Poland once it is conquered.
- September 1, 1939 – Hitler launches a Blitzkrieg (lightening war) on Poland. Poland falls to the Nazi attack.
- Britain and France demand that Hitler withdraw, he refused.
- September 3, 1939 – Britain and France declared war on Germany.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.