All Bacteria have the following characteristics:
- Unicellular and stick together in colonies
- Are prokaryotic (no nucleus, vacuoles, mitochondria or chloroplasts)
- They have a single chromosome in a DNA loop
- They reproduce asexually by binary fission
- Live in moist environment and are inactive in dry environments
Two groups of Bacteria
1. Archaebacteria – primitive bacteria that live in harsh environments
2. Eubacteria – most common bacteria eg: E. Coli
Other ways of classifying bacteria are:
3. Aerobic or anaerobic
4. Autotroph or heterotroph
– similar to mitosis (simple cell division)
- DNA replicates (doubles)
- a cross wall forms dividing the cell into two identical bacteria
Some bacteria (eg: E.Coli and Salmonella) reproduce by conjugation (sexual reproduction)
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.