All Bacteria have the following characteristics:
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- Unicellular and stick together in colonies
- Are prokaryotic (no nucleus, vacuoles, mitochondria or chloroplasts)
- They have a single chromosome in a DNA loop
- They reproduce asexually by binary fission
- Live in moist environment and are inactive in dry environments
Two groups of Bacteria
1. Archaebacteria – primitive bacteria that live in harsh environments
2. Eubacteria – most common bacteria eg: E. Coli
Other ways of classifying bacteria are:
3. Aerobic or anaerobic
4. Autotroph or heterotroph
– similar to mitosis (simple cell division)
- DNA replicates (doubles)
- a cross wall forms dividing the cell into two identical bacteria
Some bacteria (eg: E.Coli and Salmonella) reproduce by conjugation (sexual reproduction)
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.