Cells must perform thousands of different chemical reactions in order to survive. These reactions are crucial to providing cells with energy.
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
-“energy in” require energy in order to proceed
– biological endergonic reactions produce molecules that store energy (ex. Glucose)
– Ex. Photosynthesis
– biological exergonic reactions release useable energy from glucose to form ATP molecules
– Ex. Cellular respiration
ATP is the energy molecule of cells
Importance of ATP:
– cells are efficient in their energy use; ATP provides this efficiency
– ATP is a small molecule that releases small enough quantities to be useful to the cell
– When a cell needs energy, it can use an appropriate number of small ATP molecules instead of wasting energy by spending a larger energy molecule (large carbohydrates)
Storage and Release of Energy in a molecule of ATP:
Release of energy – the bond between the 2nd and 3rd phosphate group is broken, energy
a phosphate are released (about 30 kJ) producing ADP
Storage of energy – ADP can be converted back to a molecule of ATP, a bond forms between the 2nd phosphate group and a new 3rd phosphate when energy is supplied
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.