Dependent personality disorder is individuals that rely on others that lead to clinging and submissive behaviours, and are afraid of separation.
For example: a man in his mid-20 had experienced difficulty at work; socially because he needed so much attention. He was always depressed and anxious about failures and by the way he spoke, you could tell he needed help.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
Statistics of Disorder
- Dependent Personality disorder is found more in females than in males because females are more emotional and express their feelings more than males.
- Narcissistic; overblown self-worth lack of empathy
- -need for constant positive attention
- -unreasonable expectations of success
- -obsession with fantasies of qualities
- -exaggerated achievement
- Some Causes for DPD are Individuals with dependent personality disorder often have been socially humiliated by others in their developmental years.
- They may have doubts about their abilities to perform tasks, take on new responsibility, and generally function independently.
- they portray a helplessness when they don’t have someone caring for them
- Have difficulty making common decisions
- Need a excessive amount of advice & reassurance before making decisions
- Have difficulty doing things on their own
- Go to excessive lengths to gain support
- Feel helpless when alone
- Quickly seek a new relationship
- Are preoccupied with fears of being left
- Intense fear of abandonment
- patients are passive in their overall treatment
- don’t look for treatment for the disorder itself, but seek treatment when a problem occurs
- psychotherapy (type of counselling). Goal of therapy is to help person become active, independent and form healthy relationships
- short term therapy is better because long term can lead to dependency on therapist
- Therapy strategies: assertiveness training to help person develop self confidence
- Use of medication: treat people who also suffer from depression/anxiety. Patient can become dependent on drugs or abuse drugs.
Prognosis & Community
- The general prognosis for individuals with DPD is good
- Most with this disorder have had a supportive relationship with one parent
- It allows them to engage in treatment to vary degrees and to explore behaviour
- There are no help centres or psychiatric wards in peel or Toronto but there are many in England and the states.
- Some impacts on the sufferer and their family and friends, is that families are commonly endured of the explosive anger and rage, depression built in the individual. For example, a person who rarely gets out of bed would fall under the above statement. The person experiencing this type of disorder, would be occasionally referred to treatment by a loved one, who is recognizing some difficultly with this individual’s coping skills or who have reached their personal limit trying to cope with them.
- Buster in Arrested Development
- Bill Dauterive (King of the Hill)
- Prevention: might not be possible, but treatment can allow a person to learn more productive ways of dealing with situations.