The major two religions in Elizabethan England were Catholic and Protestant religions,
- Choosing the “wrong” religion brought risks to personal wealth, freedom, and life
- Schools taught these “favored” religions; if you did not practices these religions then it would lead to great danger: Imprisonment, Torture. Execution
- Catholics believed that the pope or the priest could forgive sins
- Elizabethan Protestants believed that only God could forgive sins
Witchcraft and Witches
During the Elizabethan Era, people would blame unexplainable events of the work on witches
- Women were mostly accused of being witches
- When the deadly outbreak of the Black death occurred they also blamed it on witches
- Queen Elizabeth passed a harsh law in 1562 leading to witch hunts
- Types of witches include: White witch and Black witch
- White withes were seen as a help to their community and known for healing
- Black withes were seen as people who practice secret arts in order to harm others
Fear of supernatural and forces of Nature or God resulted in superstition
- Elizabethan superstitions came due to the fear of witchcraft and witches
- Some superstitions that affected the everyday life of Elizabethans were:
- Shoes on a table – If you put shoes on a table it was very bad luck – inviting an imminent death
- Spilling Salt or pepper – Seen as bad luck
- It was unlucky for a black cat to cross your path
Medicine and Illnesses
Elizabethan medicine was very basic in an era when terrible illnesses kill almost one third of the population (Black Death)
- Medicine was simple and basic in this era because doctors did not know what caused illness
- Elizabethan illnesses were similar to modern age illnesses
- Broken bones, wounds were treated in unsanitary places which often caused the problem to get worse
- The only cure for a toothache was to pull it out (with no medicine or anesthetic)
Some cures are :
- Head Pains- were treated with sweet-smelling herbs such as rose, lavender, sage, and bay
- Cuts or Wounds- Vinegar was widely used as a cleansing agent as it was believed that it would kill disease.
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.