Research question: All organisms have activities, organisms use energy to accomplish activates. Organisms eat food to gain energy, this energy is stored for later use. Since humans are organisms we eat food to gain energy. Which food of the same category gives us more energy?
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
Hypothesis: Since fat is the main reserve that is burnt for energy then the chips with the most fat content will burn for longer thus increasing the temperature of the liquid even further therefore the chips with the most fat content has the most energy. Since happy-tos has more fats in it than other chips, I think that happy-tos will have more energy in it than other chips. Taro will have the least energy since it has the least fat content.
- The different type of chips.
- The water in the test-tube.
- Energy content of food.
- Amount of water.
- The distance between the burning food and the test tube.
- The equipment’s.
- Alcohol thermometer.
- Temperature of the room.
- Each chip is burnt until it can’t burn anymore.
- Different types of chips
- Test tube
- Bunsen burner
- Alcohol Thermometer
- Electronic balance
- Take a chip from the chips packet.
- Measure its mass.
- Mount it on the needle.
- Put 20 ml of water into the test-tube.
- Mount the test-tube onto the stand with a clamp.
- Place the thermometer into the test-tube, take its reading and pull out the thermometer.
- Place the needle on top of the Bunsen burner.
- When the chip gets on fire pull it out of the Bunsen burner.
- Place the needle under the test-tube.
- Wait till the chip burn no more.
- Put the thermometer in the water and find it temperature.
- Take down all the readings.
- Repeat step 1 to 12 for 3 time for each different type of chip.
- Find the average of initial temperature, final temperature and mass of the food sample.
- Use the formula, Energy = Volume of water x (initial-final temperature) x 4.2/ mass of food sample. For each different type of chips
How independent variable was varied: the independent variable can be varied by changing the different type of chip and changing the water in the test-tube.
How changes of the dependent variables was monitored: The dependent variable was found out by measuring the final temperature of the test tube and using the formula.
How controlled variables were controlled: All the controlled variables were controlled by keeping everything constant and changing only the independent variable.
Sufficient relevant data: The data was accurate as there was several trials, the methods of measurements were kept the same and a calculator was used to calculate the formula to achieve the best accuracy for the results.
Contents of the different types of chips.
|Chips Name||Fat (g)||Protein (g)||Carbohydrates (g)|
|Name of chips||Volume of water (ml)||Initial temp (°C)||Final temp (°C)||Mass of food (g)||Energy content of food (j/g)|
|Chiki balls||20 ml||22||37.66||0.37||3541.62|
Discussion of results: Happy-tos has the highest energy and taro has the least energy, this can be seen from the graph. Cheetos is an anomaly because as per the first table Cheetos has the 2nd fattest content but in the graph Cheetos is the 2nd last.
Conclusion: The results show that Happy-tos has the highest energy content, this is because Happy-tos has the highest fat content from the rest of the chips. Cheetos was an unexpected anomaly, according to the “content of chips” table Cheetos has the second highest fat content but from the experiment Cheetos has very less energy content. Taro had the least energy content but this was already predicted as Taro had the least fat content. My results supports my hypothesis.
Evaluation: The experiment was carried out fair but there are a few possible improvements like increasing the amount of controlled variables to get a more accurate results. The initial temperature and the mass of the food could have been a controlled variable as this could possibly effect the experiment. The Cheetos anomaly could have been a possible mistake due to the initial temperature and the mass of the Cheetos. The same test tube was used several times for each food, this could have affected the experiment and using a mercury thermometer could have possible yield a better reading. More trials could have been taken to achieve a greater accuracy and to minimize errors. If the Cheetos anomaly is not an experiment mistake then further investigations should be carried out.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.