Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- Father of psychology, wanted to establish the study of the mind as a science.
- Analyzed the mind in terms of its basic components [STRUCTURALISM]
- Prof of psych, philo and physiology at Harvard.
- Was a “big-picture” person and liked to look at things as a whole [FUNCTIONALISM]
- Researched apes and other animals, concluded intelligence is the ability to perceive relationships (insight)
- His research into insight learning opened new doors for the subjects of perception, intelligence and problem solving.
- Observed the development of intelligence in children.
- Noted that cognitive development happened in stages and is completely independent from a child’s past experiences.
Albert ELLIS and Aaron BECK
- Irrational thought patterns caused depression, not environment.
- Studied hysteria, concluded that human nature is violent and sexual.
- Repression mechanisms within the brain.
- Adult personality is strongly influenced by our childhood experiences.
- Never ending internal struggle between violence and repression.
- Classical conditioning of dogs [British Empiricism]
John B. WATSON
- Proper subject of psychology is observable behavior. Behavior is influenced by the surrounding environment. [Behaviourism]
- “Give me a dozen infants and I can raise them up to be anything”
B. F. SKINNER
- “A person does not act upon the world, it acts upon him”
- Stated mental events, images and thoughts are not causes of behavior, environment is cause of behavior [Modern Behaviorism]
- Humanistic Theory of Self-Conditioning
- Created an entirely new area of Clinical Therapy.
Karl LASHLEY, Wilder PENFIELD
- Wondered how different areas of the cerebral cortex affected the brain and its functions.
- PENFIELD was able to create a detailed map of the brain and its functional areas.
- Interested in the field of social psychology.
- Believed that people acted as part of a group rather as an individual in society.
- Wondered how is it that people feel things? Suggested the idea of a reflex arc
- Suggested information was processed in a central brain region.
- Into measurement, and wanted to know how to measure what we hear, see, or feel.
William JAMES and Mary CALKINS
- JAMES founding father of psychology in the US, was interested in the physiology of learning.
- CALKINS was first women to have degree in Harvard, first women Pres. Of American Association of Psychology.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.