Common fungi: mushrooms, moulds, yeast and truffles
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
1. Cell Type: eukaryotic
2. Type of Reproduction: asexual and sexual life cycle
Sex cell = spores
– spores are spread by wind
– spores germinate (grow)
Asexual fragmentation may also occur
- mycelium – vegetative part, under ground
- wide variety of shapes, sizes and colours
4. Ecological Role
- 1. Decomposers – transforms dead material to new material for plants
- 2. Human uses – yeast to make bread, wine and beer
- 3. Bioremediation – decomposes harmful pollutants and hazardous chemicals
- 4. Helps other organisms (symbiotic relationship) eg: helps roots of plants absorb nutrients
- LICHEN : a combo of green algae and fungus growing together to help plant growth (act like soil for plants to grow on rocks)
- Lichens are also indicators of air pollution since they absorb water from the air to provide for the plants
5. CONNECTION to HUMAN HEALTH
– skin infections such as athlete’s food and ringworm
– poisonous mushrooms (Amanita) can cause death by producing neurotoxins if ingested
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.