1. INFANCY (birth to 1 year)
- Breast milk or infant formula
- Pureed foods high in nutrients
- (40 to 50% of caloric intake from fat sources)
2. TODDLERS / PRE-SCHOOLER (1 to 5 years)
- Foods high in nutrients especially: folic acid, vitamin A, B6, C, E, calcium, iron, & zinc
- (fat intake should be 30% of total calories)
- Finger type foods
- Small portions
- BEWARE OF CHOKING!
3. SCHOOL AGE (5 to 12 years)
- Start with a healthy breakfast
- Balanced diet with nutritious snacks
- Need foods rich in: folic acid, vitamin A, B6, C, E, calcium, iron, & zinc
4. ADOLESCENCE (13 to 19 years)
- Select foods rich in calcium, iron, zinc, B vitamins, vitamin A, D, E, & C
- Select foods high in calories (eg. complex carbohydrates)
- Select foods low in fat and sugar content
- Eat plenty of grains and fresh vegetables and fruits
5. EARLY ADULTHOOD (19 to 30 years)
- Select foods low in fat and low in calories
- Select foods high in calcium, folate, vitamin B6, vitamin C
- Select nutritious convenience foods (if necessary)
6. PREGNANT / BREASTFEEDING MOTHER
- Select well balanced meals and nutritious snacks (+ need to increase caloric intake)
- Select foods high in calcium, vitamin D, vitamin C, iron, zinc, vitamins B1, B2, B3, folic acid, & vitamin B12
- NO SMOKING! NO ALCOHOL!
7. MIDDLE YEARS (30 to 60 years)
- Select foods low in fat, cholesterol and calories
- Select foods high in calcium and fibre
8. AGING YEARS (60 years or older)
- Select foods low in fat and cholesterol
- Select low calorie foods that are nutrient dense
- Select foods high in calcium, vitamin D, fibre, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12
- Some elderly needs may require well-cooked foods—softer for ease of chewing and digestion (ie. carrots)
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.