The laboratory is a safe place to experiment if you are careful and familiar with all the equipment. You must assume responsibility for the safety of yourself and your neighbours. This paper outlines the steps to use for safety and first aid in this classroom. Student bags or back packs and coats are not permitted in any science laboratory. Students who do not exercise proper lab procedure will be removed from the laboratory
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
PART A: FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS
2. Follow instructions EXACTLY as they appear on the procedure given.
3. Pay attention to what you are doing. Needless conversations will distract your attention and may be dangerous.
4. Be sure the teacher is present when you are working in the lab.
PART B: LAB WEAR
1. Long hanging necklaces or bulky clothing should NEVER be worn. Avoid wearing clothing with loose sleeves as they may catch fire in an open flame.
2. Wear shoes in the lab; no bare feet or sandals.
3. Eye protection is REQUIRED for ALL experiments.
4. Long hair must be tied back.
PART C: BEHAVIOUR AND WORK AREA
1. The lab is to be used for SERIOUS work. Do not leave an experiment unattended.
2. No food or beverage is allowed in the lab. Keep your hands or any other object away from eyes, mouth and hands during experiments
3. Keep books and other unnecessary items off your work area and off the floor. Bring only what you need to the lab tables.
4. Push in chairs to keep aisles clear
Part D : DISSECTION & MICROORGANISMS
1. Wear the protective gloves provided by your teacher.
2. Always carry dissection knives and scalpels point downward.
3. When handling or cutting using a scalpel turn the cutting edge away from your body.
4. After use, wash and dry dissection instruments in a disinfectant solution before retuning for storage.
5. Anyone with broken skin should take appropriate protective measures to protect themselves from microorganisms.
PART E: HANDLING CHEMICALS
1. Treat ALL chemicals as if they were dangerous. NEVER return chemicals back to the bottle. Do NOT take chemicals out of the laboratory. Label your test tubes and beakers so you can identify their contents.
2. NEVER touch chemicals with your hands unless specifically instructed that it is safe to do so.
3. NEVER taste any chemical substance unless directed specifically by your teacher to do so.
4. The ONLY correct way to smell the odour of a volatile substance is to gently fan the air across the open container toward your nose. NEVER inhale directly over the opening.
5. Handle combustible materials CAREFULLY. Keep them away from open flames.
6. In the case of chemical spills inform your teacher immediately. Follow your teacher’s instructions.
PART F: HEATING
1. When heating a substance in a test tube, be careful NOT to point the mouth of the test tube at another person or yourself.
2. Use caution and the proper equipment to handle HOT glassware. Cool glass looks the same as hot glass.
3. For electrical devices, use DRY hands and remove electrical plugs by grasping the plug NOT the cord.
PART G: DISPOSAL AND CLEAN-UP
1. Place broken glass in the container can marked “broken glass”.
2. Follow directions on whether chemicals can go down the sink or in a chemical waste container.
3. Return used specimens (all parts) to the disposal container provided by your teacher. No specimen parts are to be removed from the laboratory.
4. Before leaving your lab table, be sure you have turned off all burners, put back all equipment, wipe down the counter and have it inspected by your teacher. All lab groups are responsible for their assigned lab station.
5. Wash hands thoroughly after experiment completion and clean up
PART H: LAB SAFETY FEATURES AND FIRST AID
1. Know the location(s) of the fire extinguisher, safety shower, eyewash, fire blanket, and first aid kit.
2. Report any spill, accident or injury, no matter how minor, to your teacher AT ONCE.
5. Burns should be flushed with cold water.