- The name Mary means “wise woman” or “lady”
- She came from a town called Magdala on the western side of the Sea of Galilee
- The story of Mary Magdalene contains four different episodes, Mary Magdalene as a disciple of Jesus, Mary at the crucifixion, Mary prepared Jesus’ body for the burial, and Mary witnessed the resurrection.
- Mary has been incorrectly portrayed as a prostitute for reasons such as she was confused with a woman from another story, she was described as having a serious illness which many linked to her sexuality and she is represented as a sinful woman compared with Mary of Nazareth.
- Jesus cured Mary Magdalene of a serious illness
- As Jesus taught throughout the country he was accompanied by a group of men led by Peter and a group of woman-led by Mary Magdalene.
- This group of women helped Jesus survive finically.
- Mathew (26:56) makes the point that the male disciples deserted Jesus prior to his execution while the woman remained near Jesus.
- However, the male disciples could have been seen as conspirators and gotten arrested if they stood too close.
- After the execution, the woman intended to wash and anoint the body of Jesus.
- However, they arrived at Jesus’ tomb and it was empty.
- Mary Magdalene then had a profound revelation where she heard and saw Jesus.
- Jesus told her to spread his story and therefore she is considered an apostle of Jesus.
- However many see her as an “apostle to the apostles”.
Cite this article as: William Anderson (Schoolworkhelper Editorial Team), "Mary Magdalene: Facts & Summary," in SchoolWorkHelper, 2019, https://schoolworkhelper.net/mary-magdalene-facts-summary/.
Help Us Fix his Smile with Your Old Essays, It Takes Seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.