Nucleic acids are the storage form of all the genetic information required by a cell.
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
They also are the cell’s preferred energy molecule ATP as well as acting as being used as intermediate electron carrier molecules in cellular respiration in the form of NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) and FAD (flavin adenine dinucleotide). cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate) is also a secondary messenger molecule in various hormone interactions.
DNA and RNA are both polymers made up of subunits called nucleotides.
DNA – Deoxyribonucleic Acid
- Double stranded, with each strand running in opposite directions. This is referred to as anti-parallel.
- One strand runs 5’ > 3’, the other runs 3’ > 5’
- The two strands are held together by hydrogen bonding between complimentary base pairs.
- Adenine binds with Thymine and they are held together by 2 hydrogen bonds.
- Guanine binds with Cytosine and they are held together by 3 hydrogen bonds.
RNA – Ribonucleic Acid
- Single stranded
- Uracil replaces thymine
- synthesized in the nucleus by the process of transcription but travels to the ribosomes in the cytoplasm to be translated into a polypeptide with a specific amino acid sequence
- exists in three forms
- mRNA – messenger RNA
- rRNA – ribosomal RNA
- tRNA – transfer RNA
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.