- Sigmund Freud believed that hidden forces are the cause of human behavior, rather than the obvious forces.
- Unconscious thoughts reveal themselves in something called the free association, such as dreams where you talk and think freely.
- He believed that personality consists of three major systems.
The Structure of Personality:
- id- this starts at birth. This is based on the pleasure principle, which suppresses negative feels and enhances pleasuring instincts such sexual desires. The libido fuels psychic energy. The id feelings have to release its tension by impulsive actions and dirty thoughts.
- ego– this is between unconscious and conscious thoughts. This is based on the reality principle, which puts a hold the id unless it is appropriate to be shown.
- superego- this is the last system of personality to develop. This represents the part of us that does things just to please others. It shows ours morals and how well we follow the “rules of society.”
The Development of Personality:
The Stages of Psychosexual Development
0 – 12 months
Libidal energy is focussed on sucking things (nursing; being fed; accepting things through the mouth)
Primary conflict is weaning
Frustrated when urges are ignored; becomes pessimistic, envious, suspicious
Overindulged when urges are excessively met; becomes optimistic, gullible, full of admiration
12 – 18 months
|Libidal energy is focussed on the anus|
Begins with start of toilet training; obsessed with the erogenous zone of the anus, and with retention or expulsion of the feces
Primary conflict is between withholding and expelling feces
Expulsive – messy, careless, disorganized, defiant
Retentive – neat, precise, withholding, orderly, meticulous
Libidal energy is focussed on the genital region
Emergence of Oedipus (males) and Electra complexes
-desire to possess the opposite-sex parent, and to eliminate the same-sex parent
Person learns their proper sexual role by identifying with their same-sex parent
Phallic character (reckless, vain) develops if fixated in this stage
Period where the sexual drive remains dormant (inactive);
Libidal energy (desires and impulses) is suppressed
-put sexual energy into sports, extra-curricular activities, same-sex friendships etc.
when puberty hits, repression ends
Libidal energy is focussed on the genital region again
Interest in sexual relationships grow
If fixated on a previous stage, will have trouble developing normal relationships
Help Us Fix his Smile with Your Old Essays, It Takes Seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.