- According to Jewish tradition, the covenant between God and the Hebrew people took on a new significance during the time of Moses.
- Under the patriarchal period of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob God promised to love humanity.
- But under Moses and the Mosaic period, God would provide humanity the commandments in order to keep the covenant.
The Ten Commandments
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
The Jews Leave Canaan
- Severe drought struck Canaan and the Hebrews were forced to move to Egypt
- The Egyptians eventually turned on the Jews and enslaved them.
- After years of wishing and hoping for liberation, a leader emerged in the community to help the People of Israel.
- Moses was born of Hebrew slaves, but was later adopted by the Pharaoh’s daughter.
- Moses was loved by the Pharaoh until he killed an Egyptian who was harassing a Hebrew slave.
- Moses fled to the land of Midian where he was welcomed by Jethro, a priest
The Burning Bush Speaks to Moses
- One day while tending to Jethro’s flock of sheep, Moses came upon a burning bush.
- God spoke to Moses and revealed that the he was to free the Israelites from Egypt.
- God said that Moses was to free them and bring them to the “promised land” – “ a land flowing with milk and honey”
- Moses asked God what he should say when the Jews asked him who sent him. God responded, “Ehyer-asher-Ehyer.” (The exact meaning of this name for god is unknown but it can be translated into: “I am in the process of becoming” or “I will be who I will be.”
The Tenth Plague: Passover
- The tenth plague called for the killing of the first-born male in each family. But God would spare the Jews.
- God instructed Moses to tell the Jews to smear lamb’s blood on their front door and the angel of death would “pass over” their homes.
- This event is celebrated in the festival of Passover.
- The tenth plague and the killing of his son convinced the Pharaoh to set the Jews free.
Parting of the Red Sea
- Moses led the Hebrews out of Egypt and into the land of Sinai.
- When they came to the Red Sea, God parted the water and allowed the Jews to walk through to the other side and into Sinai.
- The emigration of the Jews out of Egypt became known as the Exodus.
- Mount Sinai and the Ten Commandments
- On Mount Sinai, God appeared to Moses again, this time he shared with him the Ten Commandments.
- The Ten Commandments are the laws/rules to follow.
The 10 Plagues
- In order to get the Hebrew people free from slavery, God brought 10 plagues on the Egyptians.