- There is one God who is the creator of everything
- God is immaterial (without form)
- God governs the universe with honour and justice
- Therefore, humanity has an obligation to worship God
Jewish Practices and Rituals
- Place of worship and study
- Sometimes called “Shul” (Yiddish for school)
The Torah Scroll:
- Holy book
- Most sacred object in Judaism
- Always kept in a place of honour
- Written on parchment (goat or sheep skin) and kept in a beautiful covering or container
- Cannot be touched, so the reader uses a pointer to keep his/her place
- Ark of the Covanent or Holy Ark – The cabinet on a raised platform in which the torah is kept when not being read
- According to tradition, when the Hebrews received the 10 Commandments, they were told to keep them in an ark (cabinet).
- Rabbi – trained scholar, teacher and interpreter of Jewish law, counsellor and officiant of special ceremonies
- Cantor – singer who chants the worship service and leads prayers at the synagogue
- Foundation of Jewish prayer
- Way to acknowledge and thank God
- 3 main types 1) to thank God for the 5 senses, 2) recited before performing a mitzvah (good deed), and 3) recited to praise, thank or ask God for something
- To pray as a group, there must be 10 men (and/or sometimes women) over 13 years old present
- Service in the evening, morning and afternoon
- The day is believed to begin at sundown, so evening service is the first one of the day
- The practice of following Kosher dietary laws
- Purpose of Kosher – establishes Jews as a separate and distinct group and shows the humanity and humility of Jewish people (animals are humanely killed, “because God said so)
- – One day each week to put aside work to focus on prayer, friends and family
- Begins with dinner on Friday evening with specific food, songs and prayers
- On sabbath morning, you would go to the synagogue
- Ends with a brief service that formally ends Sabbath on Saturday evening, done at home
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.