- Europe was just beginning to emerge from the medieval period.
- Historians define the medieval period from 410 CE (the fall of Rome) to the beginning of the Renaissance (c.1450 CE)
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- Western Europe was a myriad of small states.
- Ancient Roman laws were mixed with local practices.
- Most states were ruled by absolute monarchs.
- Most countries borders were ill-defined. There was a lack of political & social cohesion.
- All of Western Europe was Catholic & under the influence of the Pope (viewed by Catholics as their God’s representative on Earth), who ruled Rome & central Italy.
- Society was dominated by religion. There had been several unsuccessful Crusades (holy wars) to expel Muslims from the holy city of Jerusalem.
BUSINESS & TECHNOLOGY
- Business & technology were primitive.
- Most commerce was conducted on a local level.
- Europe was suffering economically, with decreasing land productivity & falling tax revenues. Many agricultural workers began to move to cities in search of work.
- Science & technology were beginning to be revolutionized by the rediscovery of the inventions of the Greeks & Romans from over a millennium before 1500.
- Western Europe was technologically backward compared to China & the Middle East.
EUROPE IN 1500
- Europe was ready for widespread change.
- With the rapid urbanization that occurred in the late fifteenth century, a new merchant class was emerging in society, having harnessed the ideas & advances of a new movement: The Renaissance.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.