Plants Theory (recent):
- Given by University research team
- Global cooling was caused by reduction of carbon in the atmosphere due to the first appearance of plants (photosynthesis)
- Less greenhouse gas (carbon) to prevent escape of infrared radiation which leads to cooler temperatures (less heat trapped)
- Plants (ex. moss) extract calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and iron which weathers the land
- Weathering triggers more carbonate rocks and carbon burial bodies of water
Continental Drift Theory:
- Given by A. Wegner in 1922
- Continents move on the surface of the globe
- Movements of the poles
- Supports developments of ice sheets
1.) A change in the eccentricity of the earth’s orbit
- Earth’s orbit is altered (made more/less eccentric) by gravity of other planets or special bodies
- Causes temperature on earth to be colder or warmer (further or closer from the sun)
- Alters the distribution of solar radiation
- Cold can contribute to positive feedback loop of ice (Aledo)
2.) The earth’s tilt changes
- Earth’s tilt causes more extreme temperatures in summer and winter
- As tilt gets larger, so do the extremities in temperature
- Tilt changes about every 40,000 years
3.) The earth’s wobble (precession)
- Earth has a precession cycle of about 23,000 years
- Affects the climate temperatures in various parts of the world as the wobble changes where the axis is pointing (changes where there’s summer and winter)
- When earth is in a position where the poles get even colder temperatures, it makes the entire earth colder (possible cause of ice ages)
Help Us Fix his Smile with Your Old Essays, It Takes Seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.