- When England declared war, Canada knew that we too would be involved in the fighting.
- The tone was excited, everyone thought the war would be over by Christmas.
- Most people felt it was their duty to help Canada (Britain) achieve her goals any way they could.
- Many young men enlisted in the army.
- Pacifists are people who cannot fight because of strong religious or moral objections to violence – but they too contributed in other ways. They could be enlisted as nurses or doctors, chaplains, and they contributed in Canada too.
- First thing government did was pass War Measures Act – This gave government special wartime powers over personal freedoms and economy.
- Canada’s Minister of the Militia.
- He organized a massive recruitment drive for the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF)
- He established a training base at Valcartier Quebec
- He was responsible for arming the troops with weapons. Questionable weapons were given such as the Ross Rifle, and the MacAdam shovel.
WHY SIGN UP FOR THE ARMY?
- National pride
- Sense of duty
- Sense of adventure
- Not understanding the danger and difficulties they would face in 4 long years of war.