- When England declared war, Canada knew that we too would be involved in the fighting.
- The tone was excited, everyone thought the war would be over by Christmas.
- Most people felt it was their duty to help Canada (Britain) achieve her goals any way they could.
- Many young men enlisted in the army.
- Pacifists are people who cannot fight because of strong religious or moral objections to violence – but they too contributed in other ways. They could be enlisted as nurses or doctors, chaplains, and they contributed in Canada too.
- First thing government did was pass War Measures Act – This gave government special wartime powers over personal freedoms and economy.
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Professional writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- Canada’s Minister of the Militia.
- He organized a massive recruitment drive for the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF)
- He established a training base at Valcartier Quebec
- He was responsible for arming the troops with weapons. Questionable weapons were given such as the Ross Rifle, and the MacAdam shovel.
WHY SIGN UP FOR THE ARMY?
- National pride
- Sense of duty
- Sense of adventure
- Not understanding the danger and difficulties they would face in 4 long years of war.