Common Names: Anofex, Cesarex, Chlorophenothane, Dedelo, p, p’-DDT, Dinocide, Didimac, Digmar, ENT 1506, Genitox, Guesapon, Guesarol, Gexarex, Gyron, Hildit, Ixodex, Kopsol, Neocid, OMS 16, Micro DDT 75, Pentachlorin, Rukseam, R50 and Zerdane.
Physical Properties of DDT
– Created by the reaction of trichloroethanol with chlorobenzene
– Stable, Nonflammable, Combustible molecule
– Able to perform substitution reactions because of its chlorine atoms
|Appearance:||– waxy, solid
– pure form consists of colorless crystals
|Molecular Weight:||354.51 g/mol|
|Water Solubility:||< 1 mg/L @ 20 degrees|
|Melting Point:||108.5-109 °C|
|Boiling Point:||260 °C|
|Solubility Information:||– Low solubility in water, high solubility in fats
– Soluble in aromatic and chlorinated solvents
|Area Effected:||Effect:||First Aid:|
|Eye||– eyes turn very red
– burning sensation occurs
|– immediately flush out eye with large amounts of water, not stopping for 30 minutes
– seek medical attention immediately
|Skin||– causes a prickling or tingling sensation
– very irritable to skin
|– take off contaminated clothing
– immediately wash contaminated skin with large amounts of soap
|Breathing In (Lungs)||– headache, dizziness, confusion, a sense of apprehension and tremors
– higher exposure could lead to death
|– remove person from exposure
– being rescue breathing and transfer to medical facility
|Long Term Effects:||– may be a carcinogen
– may damage the developing fetus
– may damage the nervous system, liver and kidneys
Application and Uses of Molecule in Society
– First used in World War II, nicknamed the ‘atomic bomb’ of pesticides
– Used to kill insects among both military and civilian populations which were believed to carry malaria, typhus and other insect borne human diseases
– After World War II it was used on farms to control common agricultural pests
– Used again even after the war to control insects which carried malaria and yellow fever
– Even though banned in the United States because of it leading to biomagnification, it is still used in many parts of the world to control the spread of malaria
Help Us Fix his Smile with Your Old Essays, It Takes Seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.