What is a summary?
- A summary paragraph re-states the main idea of the text
- A summary is usually 1/3 length of original text
- A summary is written in your own words
- A summary is written in 3rd person (no I, me, you…)
A summary is NOT:
- Written in 1st person
- Your opinion on the topic
- As long as the original
- Copied sections of the original text—no copy and paste!
How to Write a Summary
- Read over the original text at least twice. Look for key words and text clues (heading, sub-headings, topic sentences, concluding sentences)
- Highlight main ideas
- Highlight supporting ideas
- Jot down main ideas and the supporting ideas in your own words
- Write a summary paragraph using proper paragraph form
- Proofread your work carefully to make sure you have not copied sections of the text word for word.
Cite this article as: William Anderson (Schoolworkhelper Editorial Team), "How to Summarize," in SchoolWorkHelper, 2021, https://schoolworkhelper.net/how-to-summarize/.