The North Atlantic Treaty Organization – created on April 4 1949. It is the military alliance of Democratic states in Europe and North America. NATO founding members stated on April 4 1949 in Article 5, the parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against all. It was an Intergovernmnetal military alliance based on the North Atlantic Treaty, The founding member nations were (16): Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, United Kingdom and United States.
- NATO craeyed the first multilateral military alliance to span the North Atlantic Ocean in time of peace.
- NATO signified the military movement of the United States on Policy of Containment. The Truman Doctrine and Marshall Plan had been the economical sanctions and creation of NATO symbolizes the beginning of the US military movement against the Soviet Union.
- The US entry into NATO was “one of the most far-reaching commitments the United States had ever made…”
- It was created as a counterweight to the Soviet Armies stationed in central and eastern Europe after WWII.
- The First years, NATO was not much more than a political association, but during and after the Korean War (1950-53), NATO structure was built up under the direction of two Supreme commanders.
- NATO ensured that the US was permanently aligned and attached to the affairs of Europe thus US isolationism ceased to exist anymore.
- As a result of creation of NATO, the Soviet Union counterattacked by creating the Warsaw Pact in 1953, with Satellite states as members.
NATO –Member defence expenditures 1949-52 and 1974. (Millions of dollars U.S.)
|US||13, 503||14, 307||33, 059||47, 598||85, 906|