- Ideas laid out in The Republic (380 BCE)
- Individual human beings are not self-sufficient- can’t acquire all necessities of life working alone
- Thus, form communities in which we work for common goals
- Goals better achieved if each person specializes in a specific role (farmer, carpenter, merchant etc.)- Each person should ONLY perform task for which they are best suited
- Plato proposed human beings (like the metals gold, silver, and bronze) possess different natures that fit each of them to a particular function within the operation of the society
- Thus, perfect society (he named Kallipolis) is one of different classes of people
- Plato’s preferred type of government was aristocracy (rule by the best) but he believed that this would eventually give way to inferior forms of government:
–Timocracy: rule motivated by love of power, not the common good
–Plutocracy: rule motivated by acquisition of wealth & personal gain- creates society divided between rich and poor
–Democracy: the poor rebel and choose a charismatic leader that is unfit to lead, resulting in chaos and disorder
–Tyranny: people turn to a strongman to end disorder. Uses absolute power to enslave subjects
Commonly cited advantages and disadvantages of Platonic politics:
- Openness to women in positions of power makes some believe Plato was ahead of his time in terms of gender equality
- Specialization and division of labour might maximize productivity
- Unavailability of private property to ruling elite removes motive of personal gain in decision making
- Leaders chosen based on merit alone- not wealth, family prestige, personal popularity like in other political systems
- Some feel it is too utopian; a society that could never be achieved and thus is impractical
- Ideas that people owe complete allegiance to leader and should sacrifice well-being for good of state used to justify 20th century totalitarianism (World War II Germany, USSR)
- People have little say in their role in society- their class is selected for them based on their early education, no role in determining who leads them
- Selective breeding of guardians a similar idea to World War II Germany eugenics- forced sterilizations and killing of people deemed undesirable in the project to build the “master race”
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.