– results in contraction of smooth muscle that surrounds airways – makes breathing difficult
– allergic reaction
– inflammation of bronchial lining + overproduction of mucous and frequent coughing
– related to smoking and other irritants (air pollution etc)
– increased mucous production – blocks airways and reduces respiratory efficiency
– can treat with bronchodilators
– associated with chronic bronchitis
– difficult for air to pass through and reach alveoli
– cilia no longer work – do not filter debris – debris builds up in air tubes – causes constriction of bronchioles – less air gets to alveoli
– air pressure builds up and lungs appear inflated -walls of alveoli tear and become damaged – decreases surface area for gas exchange – breathing rate increases to compensate – heart must also work harder than normal
– autosomal recessive genetic disorder
– abnormally thick mucous blocks airways – not easily removed by cilia
– excess mucous leads to recurrent lung infections – persistent coughing, wheezing
– used to insulate buildings
– can lead to lung cancer
Silica – major component of rocks and soil
– irritates respiratory tract
– cilia stop beating
-increased mucous production
– second hand smoke has higher concentration of substances than first hand smoke
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.