Themes: Death/Human Suffering, Parent/child, Courage, Religious Imagery, Vivid Imagery
Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
Type: Blank Verse
Form – 2 stanzas – different lengths – lines aren’t long – clearly explains with simple meanings
- Written by Chinua Achebe
- This is a heartbreaking poem about a young mother in a refugee camp and her devotion to her dying child
- Poem uses simple language to convey the unbearable sadness of the scene
- Emotionally touching and descriptive
- Repetition of words “washed/unwashed”, “ghost and “mother are like sad little repetitive echoes throughout the poem
- Sensory language – smells and sights
- Sickening images evoked contrast with the mother’s spirit
- Poet relies heavily on enjambment to create effects
- The mother’s utter devotion to her dead or dying child is heartbreaking and tragic
- Mixed emotions – unbearable sadness and horror of the situation and admiration for the mother’s courage and love
- The Madonna and Child is a piece of religious imagery
- Gives the mother & child a superhuman goodness/sacrifice taking them beyond the camp
- The conventional image of Madonna and Child shows a sad-sweet expression – she knew she was going to lose her child – mirrored in this poem
- Jesus was born in a stable, conditions not far removed from the poem
- Skeletal images – “skull”, “rib” and “grave”
- Contrasts – between normality (combing her child’s hair) and the horror of the refugee camp
- Repetition “ghost” implying that the mother and child will soon be ghosts
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.