Can We Write Your Essay?
Ace your next assignment with help from a professional writer. Free proofreading and copy-editing included.
- Earth has had several ice ages
- Ice ages are periods of time when freezing temperatures created massive sheets of ice that covered continents
- The last ice age ended between 6000 and 10,000 years ago
- During the last ice age, glaciers covered most of Canada and the Northern US
How Ice Ages Occur
- An ice age occurs when the earth’s climate cools, and snow falling in winter does not all melt in summer
- Over 1000s of years, the snow builds up and gets so deep it turns to ice- a glacier
- Glaciers can move very slowly, like a very thick liquid
Types of Glaciers – Alpine and Continental
Alpine Glaciers are smaller glaciers found on mountains
- They move down valleys because of gravity
- There are still alpine glaciers in Canada today in the Arctic and in the West Coast Mountains
Continental Glaciers (or ice sheets) are much bigger than alpine glaciers – they can cover entire continent
- These glaciers move because of their own weight (like pancake batter spreading over the pan)
- Today, there are only two continental glaciers – over Greenland and Antarctica
Continental Glaciers – Landforms
- Continental Glaciers make the land smoother by eroding some areas and depositing sediments in others
- Striations are grooves scraped in rock by rocks frozen in the glacial ice
- Moraines are large rocks that have been picked up by a glacier and dropped 100s of kilometers away from where they belong
- Moraines are ridges of sediments and rocks (till) that are pushed along by a glacier and then left behind when it melts
- Drumlins are egg shaped hills with a steep side and a gentle side
- The steep side points in the direction the glacier came from
Humans and Glacial Features
- We use glacial landforms in a number of ways
- Gravel extraction – we use gravel from glacial till for construction
- Moraines tend to be used for grazing, forestry
- Drumlins have deep soil, good for farming
Can We Help with Your Assignment?
Let us do your homework! Expert writers in all subject areas are available and will meet your assignment deadline.