Proteins in the human body have a wide range of functions which include: Hormones (insulin, testosterone), Muscle Fibers (actin, muasin), Carrier Protein (Oxygen carrying hemoglobin), Structure/ Support (nails/ hair), Enzymes (biological catalyst), Membrane Transport (Na/ K pump), Cell-to-Cell Recognition, Antibodies.
Proteins are polymers made up of amino acid subunits bonded together by peptide bonds.
This occurs by a condensation reaction.
- Given by the sequence of amino acids in the polypeptide.
- Controls all levels of further folding.
All proteins have an amino terminal end and a carboxyl terminal end. These ends are significant to the sequencing of a polypeptide. Insulin was the first protein to be sequenced. Our DNA codes for the sequence of every protein our cells make. A change in one amino acid residue can alter the final shape of the protein making it dysfunctional. This is the root cause of genetic disorders (e.g. sickle cell anemia hemoglobin defect).
- Second level of folding due to hydrogen bonding between main chain amino and carbonyl groups
- springy/ flexible
- Hydrogen bonding
- (e.g silk)
- High tensile strength due to hydrogen bonding
- further folding and super coiling of the polypeptide
- controlled by interactions (covalent, ionic, van der Waals) between the R-groups or side chains of the amino acids
Interacts with watery environment of the cytoplasm to drive folding process.
- Gives protein a specific 3-dimensional shape and a specific function. What would happen to the protein if these bonds were broken? Denaturation
- Two or more polypeptides interacting to form a functional protein
- Metal ions may be part of the protein structure as in
Hemoglobin with Fe2+
- Allows for very specific activity of the protein due to detailed globular shape and
- collagen triple helix
- Indivisible, tensile (strong), flexible
- Responsible for skin elasticity
- 4 heme groups allows it to bind 4 oxygen molecules
- Successive oxygen binding is accelerated
- 1st oxygen is hardest to bind
- Property of quaternary structure
- Activates activity of a protein through its initial bonding
If we have helped you, please help us fix his smile with your old essays...it takes seconds!
-We are looking for previous essays, labs and assignments that you aced!-We will review and post them on our website.
-Ad revenue is used to support children in developing nations.
-We help pay for cleft palate repair surgeries through Operation Smile and Smile Train.